We support Foster Care Leavers as they transition from being teenagers to being independent adults. We ensure they have all the right building blocks in place to go confidently and positively into adult life so they can reach their potential, not hindered by their troubled start.
Above all, we prevent disadvantaged children and young people being homeless.
“The support from Young People and Children First has made me a much stronger, confident person and has helped me along the journey of becoming an adult.
We now have three charity houses in Thatcham, Newbury: Cornerstone, Rebecca House and Hope House. These can house a total of ten Young People at anyone time.
You can find out more about our charity houses.
We have a live-in Supervisor in each house, a Support Manager plus three further support staff, all of whom provide day to day support to our young people, whether practical and emotional.
Upon arriving with us, the young people are assessed against key ‘Life Building Blocks’ to ascertain what practical, personal and academic skills they require to help them become a valuable member of society. These could include things like cooking, money management, gardening, personal health & hygiene, education etc…
Floating support service
Our floating support service is for the young people who are moving on from our accommodation.
Many of the residents that leave us will be moving into a property of their own for the first time. It’s an exciting and daunting time for them and support is vital in order to avoid issues around isolation and feelings of abandonment.
Through the ‘floating support’ service our trained support workers are available for as long as the young person needs it to provide both practical and emotional support. The aim is to ensure that the individual has the skills to thrive in their independence.
We provide practical support such as:-
- Understanding a tenancy agreement
- Being a good neighbour
- Setting up utilities
- Understanding bills
- Decorating & Furnishing
- Maximising income
We provide a range of group social activities funded by and co-ordinated by the service, such as: –
- Quiz Nights
- Cinema trips
- Boat Trips
- Holidays (Most Recently Glamping on the Jurassic Coast)
- Group Lunches
- Trips to a wildlife park/zoo
We strongly believe that providing this service we are reducing the risk of homelessness by empowering individuals and promoting wellbeing.
Our 7 Promises & Commitments
1. To make a difference to the young disadvantaged children and young adults in West Berkshire.
2. To prevent Young Care Leavers being homeless and living on the streets.
3. To provide a home for 16 to 25 year olds.
4. To establish a development programme tailored for each unique young person, which will give them the building blocks they need to develop into mature, responsible, respectful members of society and can move onto independent living as soon as is possible and right for them.
5. To provide not just practical support but emotional and psychological support.
6. To bridge that critical gap between Foster Care and independent living so Young People can move positively and uninhibited into adulthood and fulfil their aspirations.
7. To treat each young person as a unique individual.