We support Foster Care Leavers as they transition from being teenagers to being independent adults. We ensure they have all the right building blocks in place to go confidently and positively into adult life so they can reach their potential, not hindered by their troubled start. Above all, we prevent disadvantaged children and young people being homeless.
What we do
We now have two charity houses in Thatcham, Newbury: Cornerstone and Rebecca House. These can house a total of seven Young People.
You can find out more about our charity houses.
We have a live-in Support Manager in each house plus three further support staff, all of whom provide day to day support to our young people, whether practical and emotional.
Upon arriving with us, the young people are assessed against key ‘Life Building Blocks’ to ascertain what practical, personal and academic skills they require to help them become a valuable member of society. These could include things like cooking, money management, gardening, personal health & hygiene, education etc
A day in the life of our young people
The journey of every young person we support is different but these pictures give a flavour of the kind of things our young people get up to during their time with us at Young People and Children First.
We support our residents in accessing education and/or finding work or voluntary roles. We also give them support with life skills including budget management, cooking skills, interview practice and other skills to help them transition to independence alongside practical and emotional support.
We also organise social events.
Our 7 Promises & Commitments
1. To make a difference to the young disadvantaged children and young adults in West Berkshire.
2. To prevent Young Care Leavers being homeless and living on the streets.
3. To provide a home for 16 to 25 year olds.
4. To establish a development programme tailored for each unique young person, which will give them the building blocks they need to develop into mature, responsible, respectful members of society and can move onto independent living as soon as is possible and right for them.
5. To provide not just practical support but emotional and psychological support.
6. To bridge that critical gap between Foster Care and independent living so Young People can move positively and uninhibited into adulthood and fulfil their aspirations.
7. To treat each young person as a unique individual.
YPACF launches West Berkshire Lottery Page
We’ve launched a page on the West Berkshire Lottery. Now you can support us and other local causes while being in with a chance to win £25,000.
Tickets only cost £1 with 50p from each ticket going to YPACF, plus a further 10p going to support other local good causes.
Are you aged 16-21* and due to leave care, homeless or sofa surfing and need our help?
Help us house and support care leavers and young homeless by making a donation today.
Be a friend or sponsor
As part of your Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) agenda, please support us
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
Thank you for taking the time to find out about our charity, Young People & Children First. We look forward to hearing from you and will respond to you as soon as we can.
7 Venture West
Greenham Business Park,
Berkshire, RG19 6HX